Friday, January 26, 2024

My Thoughts on the Sharks’ New Cali Fin Alternate Jerseys

 The Sharks have officially unveiled their new third jerseys Thursday evening. Nicknamed “Cali Fin,” these latest alternate jerseys have taken a bit of a different approach while carrying over aspects from the current Evolve jerseys and alternate jerseys from years past. 



The Cali Fin becomes the first non-Reverse Retro jersey in Sharks franchise history to feature a primary logo that isn’t the Shark head. Like previous Sharks alternate jerseys, this new one is primarily black with a teal and/or white contrast. Other unique characteristics of Cali Fin besides the logo on the center of the jersey include re-colorized Northern California shoulder patches from the 2015 Sharks Stadium Series jersey, white and teal contrasting stripes on the sleeves and waist, multiple teal stripes below the primary stripes that fade towards the bottom of the jersey, and shark teeth graphics inside the sweater on the back collar. The uniforms surrounding the new Cali Fin sweaters include black helmets, black pants with jersey-matching striping, black gloves, and black socks. Team Teal will debut their newest Cali Fin alternate uniforms on February 17 when they host the Columbus Blue Jackets, and San Jose will wear these alternate uniforms during every home game in the months of February and March for a total of 11 games this season. These jerseys are now available to purchase at the Sharks Pro Shop, along with the NHL Shop and Fanatics websites.

As for my thoughts, the Cali Fin isn't as great and impressive as the Sharks' previous two alternate sweaters in the Stealth from 2018-22 and the black third jersey from 2008-17, but it looks amazing and I love it. I enjoy the consistency in the Sharks' alternate threads and especially dig the Northern California shoulder patches. I understand why the team would want to head in a somewhat different direction for these new alternates in terms of the center logo and other elements, and they executed this design pretty well. The leaks, teasers, and renderings that I've seen online over the past week hinted that this new third jersey would look very similar to the official finished product, and I had a strong feeling that it would turn out the way it did. I would love to get my hands on a Sharks Cali Fin jersey and other Cali Fin-themed merch in the near future, but I won't be rushing to buy them anytime soon. When I do eventually get my hands on a Sharks Cali Fin alternate sweater, I want either Logan Couture's or William Eklund's name and number on the back of it. I am very eager to see the players rep these new alternate threads on the ice during games and hope the Cali Fin brings good fortune to the Sharks this season and for years to come. 

Source: Sjsharks.com

You can further support my blogs by checking out my merch (sample pictured below): CPF Store 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Projecting the Sharks' 2024-25 Opening Night Roster

 The Sharks are halfway through their preseason slate of games, and further cuts are being made to their training camp roster. As I am earin...