Sunday, June 27, 2021

My 2021 Stanley Cup Final Prediction

 I can't believe we're already at the biggest stage of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Cup Final. Before I reveal my prediction, here's a quick recap of the Semifinals: 

My prediction for the Canadiens-Golden Knights series in the Semifinals was spot on. The Montreal Canadiens' cinderella run continues, and I am very happy for them. In addition, I am also incredibly stoked that the Golden Knights are no longer in the playoffs. Cole Caufield is an amazing young player, and his linemates, Tyler Toffoli and Nick Suzuki, have been firing on all cylinders thus far. However, one of the main reasons Montreal has come this far is due to Carey Price. He has stood on his head for much of the playoffs and proven that he is one of the best goalies in the world.

On the other hand, the same series result occurred between the Islanders and Lightning as it did in last year's Eastern Conference Final, except the rematch this year took one more game to get the job done. The Lightning are absolutely stacked and pretty much unstoppable so far. Brayden Point has been scoring at a ridiculous pace, and like Carey Price, Andrei Vasilevskiy has been an absolute force in net. The Islanders are a great team that is built for the playoffs and performed well in this series, but the other New York team couldn't quite solve the defending champs in the end. All it took for the Lightning to get back to the Cup Final was a shorthanded goal by Yanni Gourde in the second period of Game 7.

Without further ado, my 2021 Stanley Cup Final prediction:

Canadiens vs. Lightning: Lightning in 6 

Although I have picked Tampa Bay to repeat as Cup Champs, I wouldn't be too shocked or too disappointed if the Habs ended up winning the Cup this year. Montreal has been a great underdog story in this year's playoffs, having the least amount of regular season points out of all eligible playoff teams and being underestimated in every playoff series they have played in in these playoffs so far. However, the Bolts will be the Canadiens' most difficult opponent yet in these playoffs. I expect most games in this year’s Cup Final to be goaltending duels. The Tampa Bay Lightning are my second favorite team, and with the way they've been playing lately, I can't count them out of any match-up they face against any opponent.

As for Conn Smythe Trophy predictions, which will go to the MVP of the playoffs, it will go to Brayden Point if the Lightning win the Cup or Carey Price if the Canadiens win the Cup.

Check back once the Cup has been awarded, as I plan to give a recap and my thoughts on the entire Cup Final series. It begins tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Projecting the Sharks' 2024-25 Opening Night Roster

 The Sharks are halfway through their preseason slate of games, and further cuts are being made to their training camp roster. As I am earin...