Thursday, January 21, 2021

My Favorite NHL Teams Ranked From Least Favorite to Favorite

CPF Hockey isn't complete without ranking my favorite NHL teams, and in this post I will be ranking all 31 (soon to be 32) NHL teams from my least favorite to favorite (you should already know number one by now). I also plan to give some reasoning as to why teams are ranked where they are on my list. My rankings may change as time goes on, but I don't expect any of those changes to be drastic. Without further ado, let's get into it:

A quick disclaimer: for those of you who support other NHL teams, don't get angry and start hating in the comments because I ranked your team lower than you would've wanted me to. These are all my personal opinions, and if we all agreed on everything, the world would be a pretty boring place. 

 


32) Los Angeles Kings 

 

If you know who my number one team is, my absolute least favorite team shouldn't come as much of a surprise to you. The Kings have been one of the Sharks' biggest rivals ever since the Sharks entered the NHL in 1991. The Sharks-Kings rivalry has intensified during the late 2000s and much of 2010s as the two teams have battled each other for playoff spots and during playoff series. What also solidified the Kings as my least favorite team was their reverse sweep of my Sharks in the first round during the Kings' run to their most recent Stanley Cup championship in 2014. As of now, the Sharks' rivalry with the Kings has simmered down some since the Kings are in a rebuild. Other reasons why I have the Kings in last place in my rankings include their inconsistencies, current lack of scoring depth, mostly washed-up veterans, questionable reputations of select current and former Kings players, and boring current logos and primary jerseys in comparison to what other NHL teams have to offer. Whenever the Sharks beat the Kings, those are some of the best-feeling Sharks victories. I hope the LA Kings don't win another Stanley Cup anytime soon, especially since they already won two fairly recent Cups in 2012 and 2014, and the Sharks haven't won the Stanley Cup yet.

On the bright side, there are always at least a few reasons I like about every NHL team. In the case of the Kings, that would include the city of Los Angeles in general, the fact that Wayne Gretzky used to play for them, Staples Center and the surrounding LA Live, celebrity fans and appearances at games, Anze Kopitar, some of their previous logos and jerseys, and their mascot Bailey (that is, until I become a victim of his antics). I attended a LA Kings game with my friend back in January against the Dallas Stars because I stumbled across a free ticket offer I couldn't refuse, and my friend and I had a ton of fun there. I will get into more details about my experience at that game in a separate post coming soon.

31) Anaheim Ducks 

 

 Considering my favorite team, this also comes as little surprise that the Anaheim Ducks are my second least favorite team. The Ducks are saved from last place because their rivalry with the Sharks isn't as strong as the Sharks' rivalry with the Kings. Still, I strongly dislike the Ducks because of their generally dirty style of play and a few of their current and former players. In addition, the Ducks' Reverse Retro jerseys that were unveiled for this season are some of the most hideous and cartoon-y jerseys I've ever seen. Most importantly, the Ducks used to dominate the Pacific Division in recent years and make life difficult for my Sharks. Luckily, Anaheim won only one Stanley Cup back in 2007 compared to the Kings' two Cups in '12 and '14, and I don't remember the Ducks' Stanley Cup victory all that well since I was just a kid when that occurred. Like the Kings, the Ducks are also entering a rebuild, which should make things at least somewhat easier for the Sharks moving forward, and I hope the Ducks don't win another Cup anytime soon. Similar to Sharks' victories over the Kings, the Sharks beating the Ducks feels just as incredible. 

On the flip side, a few reasons I like about the Anaheim Ducks are beautiful Orange County, their Mighty Ducks-inspired alternate and specialty jerseys with the Mighty Ducks logo on the center of them, their mascot Wild Wing (until I become a victim of his antics), Teemu Selanne, and Rickard Rakell. I have seen the Honda Center in person but never been inside of it.

30) Seattle Kraken 

 The Kraken are ranked this low on my favorite teams list mainly because they haven't played a game in the NHL yet. I don't know what to expect of and from this team heading into their inaugural season in 2021-22, plus they haven't drafted or signed any players yet. The last aspect that doesn't help Seattle's case is that they will be in the Pacific Division with my Sharks and I don't usually cheer for my favorite team's division rivals. As the Kraken get more games under their belt, their respective ranking in my favorite teams list will change. I will have to see how they perform in their first season before determining how I truly feel about them. So far, Seattle has cool logos, jerseys, and colors, so that's a start. As of now, the Kraken remain in 30th place among my favorite NHL teams.

29) Arizona Coyotes

 You may start noticing a trend here. I don't normally cheer for my favorite team's division rivals, so they will be placed toward the bottom of my list more often than not. This is no different for the Arizona Coyotes. I have never really bought into the Coyotes because they haven't held a good track record for many years. Teams like the Coyotes don't inspire me to believe in them. Sure, they do have some talent in their system, but having an NHL team in the middle of a desert has basically been a failed experiment so far, losing millions in revenue for the NHL every year. In addition, there has been some recent drama surrounding the Desert Dogs, such as their loss of draft picks due to illegal scouting practices and the rescinding of their 20th overall selection Mitchell Miller in this year's draft due to Miller bullying a mentally-disabled black teenager. 

On the other hand, I like the Coyotes' Kachina-themed alternate jerseys, and Arizona will move to the Central Division once the Seattle Kraken are eligible to start playing games in the NHL. At the same time, I think it would be best for the Coyotes to relocate to Houston as the city of Houston could really use an NHL team and they can find some real success in a new city under a new name.

28) Vegas Golden Knights 

 I'll admit, the Golden Knights were previously higher on my favorite teams list, but as the Sharks' rivalry with the Golden Knights intensifies, I began to like the Knights less and less. Vegas is in a position to dominate the Pacific Division and Western Conference for years to come, which will make life more difficult for my Sharks. Whenever the Sharks defeat the Golden Knights, these are some of the best-feeling wins during the regular season and playoffs. I also really hope that the Golden Knights don't win a Stanley Cup before the Sharks do, especially since the Knights are still a fairly new franchise in the NHL. 

However, the fact that the Vegas Golden Knights are still a fairly new franchise has saved them from falling any further down my list. In addition, they had an impressive inaugural season, shattering records for expansion teams in the NHL. A few other things I like about the Golden Knights are the city of Las Vegas, T-Mobile Arena, and Marc-Andre Fleury. Whenever I now think of Las Vegas, the Golden Knights are one of the first things that come to mind.

27) Edmonton Oilers 

 

The Edmonton Oilers come in at #27 on my list for many reasons. Most importantly, like the teams ranked below them on this list, they are a Sharks' Pacific Division rival. I began to dislike them more after they eliminated my Sharks in the first round of the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs, which I feel wasn't supposed to happen. For many years before the 2016-17 season, the Oilers heavily embraced mediocrity. It seemed as if they were often awarded the first overall pick in the draft more than they should've been, and nearly every high draft pick they receive would be used to select a player who would end up becoming a bust at the NHL level. In more recent years, they would make other mistakes and questionable moves, such as trading star players like Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson or signing washed-up or unproven players to large contracts, such as Milan Lucic and Mikko Koskinen at the time he was signed to his current deal. In other words, they were (and still kind of are) easy to make fun of. Lastly, the current Oilers are nothing without Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl; one of these two must have big nights and put up multiple points, or else they don't stand a chance against their opponents.

However, some reasons why the Oilers aren't any lower on my favorite teams list include Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, their 80s dynasty, and Rogers Place. In addition, the Oilers-Sharks rivalry isn't as huge and significant as both teams' rivalries with other teams in the Pacific Division.

26) Calgary Flames 

 Although they are another Sharks' Pacific Division rival, I placed the Calgary Flames above the Edmonton Oilers in this list because I didn't find as many reasons to dislike the Flames as I did with the Oilers. The Flames are at least somewhat respectable in my opinion as some legends and future hall-of-famers have suited up for them, such as Lanny McDonald, Jarome Iginla, and Miikka Kiprusoff. In addition, the Saddledome looks pretty cool. However, I'm not a big fan of a few players on the Flames right now, specifically Milan Lucic and Matthew Tkachuk. Otherwise, I still cheer against the Flames in most instances, but not as much as I would cheer against most other Sharks' Pacific Division rivals.

25) Vancouver Canucks 

 I'm not a huge Canucks fan nor will I ever be, but they have earned more of my respect compared to the rest of the Pacific Division teams not named the Sharks. Vancouver has made their fair share of questionable moves over the years and had their down periods as well, but they have begun to place a more competitive team on the ice more recently. Besides being a Sharks' Pacific Division rival, another significant reason why I don't like the Canucks is that their fans rioted and attempted to burn their city to the ground after they lost to the Bruins in Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. I was happy the Bruins won that series, but not pleased with how Canucks fans reacted after the 2011 Cup Final was finished. 


On the bright side, I like many of the current Canucks players, such as Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, Bo Horvat, JT Miller, Thatcher Demko, and Braden Holtby. I also like some of their previous players, such as Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Jannik Hansen, and Pavel Bure. In addition, I have traveled to Vancouver before, and it is a beautiful city with a great car scene. The only thing I didn't get to see when I was in Vancouver that I wanted to see was a Canucks game at Rogers Arena; the main reason I didn't get to attend a Canucks game then was that I traveled there four summers ago during the middle of the NHL offseason.

24) Ottawa Senators 

 As you may be able to tell in my rankings, the Ottawa Senators are my least favorite team in the Eastern Conference. In recent seasons, they haven't been competitive and have had a lot of off-ice drama hanging over them. After the Senators were one goal away from reaching the Stanley Cup Final in 2017, it has been all downhill from there for Ottawa. The biggest reason I dislike the Senators has to do with their owner, Eugene Melnyk. He is known for being cheap, corrupt, and running his team poorly. Melnyk is the worst owner in the NHL, and as long as he is the owner of the Senators, Ottawa will not win a Stanley Cup. 

On the flip side, the Senators gave the Sharks Erik Karlsson, and the Sharks didn't have to give up much in return (as of now). They seem to be leaving the drama behind and heading in the right direction as an organization. I don't have the Senators ranked any lower than 24 on my favorite teams list is because they are in the Eastern Conference and don't have any sort of rivalry with the Sharks.

23) Buffalo Sabres 

 Besides the Senators, the only other team I dislike in the Eastern Conference is the Buffalo Sabres. I have never really been on board with this team, especially after nearly every season they will get on a hot streak early in the season just to fall back to Earth, disappoint, and miss the playoffs. They have the right pieces in place to be competitive for an entire season and make the playoffs, but time and time again they can't get the job done. I don't think there's anything that will make me believe that the Sabres can turn things around, but they could surprise us sooner than later for all we know. There may even be a point where Jack Eichel is so fed up with the Sabres that he requests a trade out of Buffalo, but we're not there yet. On the other hand, I appreciate that the Sabres have had such a loyal and dedicated fanbase that has put up with their years of mediocrity and lengthy playoff drought.

22) Dallas Stars 

 

Now entering the in-between tier of teams - those that I don't particularly like or dislike. The Dallas Stars used to be lower on this list, but they have earned more of my respect after signing Joe Pavelski and seeing them play in person against the Kings in LA almost a year ago. In addition, the Stars aren't in the same division as the Sharks and have quite a few talented players on their roster. However, what keeps the Stars in this tier is that they kinda have a rivalry with the Sharks, and there are at least 20 teams I like more.

21) Winnipeg Jets

 The Jets are another team I don't particularly like or dislike. You could say there is sort of a rivalry between the Sharks and Jets with ties to West Side Story. Whatever the case may be, I like some of Winnipeg's talent up front such as Blake Wheeler, Mark Scheifele, and Kyle Connor. In addition, the Jets' current and previous logos and color schemes look pretty cool. However, the Jets are a smaller market team based in Canada, and I am less likely to cheer for those types of teams in general. I also want to point out that Winnipeg often experiences frigid temperatures during the NHL season and doesn't have as much to offer compared to other major cities in Canada.

20) Columbus Blue Jackets

 I've never been a huge Blue Jackets supporter, but they have gained more of my support in more recent seasons as they have become more relevant. Columbus entered the NHL during the 2000-01 season and haven't had much to be excited about for several seasons, which has kept them lower than most Eastern Conference teams on this list. What helps the Blue Jackets' case, however, is that their logos and color scheme look great, they don't have a rivalry with the Sharks, and they have a cannon inside Nationwide Arena that goes off every time the Blue Jackets score, which is really cool and unique.

19) Montreal Canadiens

 Like the Blue Jackets, I have never been a huge Montreal Canadiens fan. However, the Habs are one of the more interesting Canadian-based teams in the NHL. I like that the Canadiens have had a ton of history, with several hockey legends having come and gone through Montreal and having won more Stanley Cups than any other franchise in the NHL. Carey Price is one of the best goalies in the league, and PK Subban played most of his career with the Canadiens. Their logo and jerseys are some of the most iconic in the NHL, and Montreal seems like a city worth visiting with its French flair and European elements. I very much enjoy that the Sharks' current win streak against the Canadiens is one of their longest win streaks against any opponent in franchise history. 

What keeps the Habs in the in-between tier is their heavy media presence that can be and is often harsh towards the players and team in general. In addition, Marc Bergevin has made some questionable moves as the Canadiens' general manager, and I don't like some of their fans. Lastly, nothing against Carey Price, but I don't see Montreal winning a Stanley Cup anytime soon with him in net, and I'm completely fine with that.

18) Toronto Maple Leafs

 This is now the part of the list where we enter the tier of teams I actually like, which consists of more than half of all NHL teams. You may be able to figure out by process of elimination that the Toronto Maple Leafs are my favorite Canadian-based team in the NHL. Toronto is one of my top bucket list destinations and one of the coolest cities in Canada and the entire world. A few of the things I immediately think of when it comes to Toronto are the Hockey Hall of Fame, hockey itself, and the Maple Leafs. Auston Matthews is one of my favorite players in the NHL. Jumbo Joe Thornton joined the Leafs this offseason and Patrick Marleau spent a few seasons on the Leafs, increasing my respect for this team. In addition, I like two of their current big-name players, Mitch Marner and John Tavares, but not as much as Matthews, Jumbo, or Patty. Although I may not be too fond of some of their fans, the Maple Leafs have one of the most hardcore, loyal, and passionate fanbases in the NHL that have stuck with the team through over 50 years of either mediocrity or playoff heartbreak.

On the flip side, why are the Maple Leafs ranked lower than the other teams I like? For starters, I didn't enjoy the Leafs' period of mediocrity that lasted until they drafted Auston Matthews number one overall in 2016. Since they haven't won a playoff series in what seems like ages ago, the Maple Leafs can be easy to make fun of sometimes. Most importantly, the Leafs seem to receive way more media coverage than any other team in the NHL, which is unfair for other NHL fanbases and those who want to hear about other NHL teams, not just Toronto. Luckily, I don't have to deal with that issue myself where I live, but I am generally speaking for many NHL fans, especially the ones based in Canada, from what I have heard from a few hockey channels on YouTube.

17) Colorado Avalanche

 Next in the tier of teams I like we have the Colorado Avalanche. The Avs have some great-looking logos and colors and are currently stacked from top to bottom. For example, Colorado has a lethal top line in Nathan MacKinnon, Mikko Rantanen, and Gabriel Landeskog. Cale Makar came off his first full season in which he won the Calder Trophy. Their prospect pool is loaded, highlighted by Bowen Byram. In addition, former San Jose Shark Joonas Donskoi currently plays for the Avalanche. Colorado is quickly becoming a powerhouse in the Western Conference and a threat to go on a deep playoff run in the coming years. I never witnessed it live, but when the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup in 2001, Ray Bourque got to lift the Cup to finish his hall-of-fame career, which was a special moment in hockey history. Although there is a lot to like about the Avalanche, there are 16 other teams that I happen to like more.

16) Carolina Hurricanes

 Ranked above the Avalanche in this list is the Carolina Hurricanes. The Canes have become a more fun team to watch in recent years. They also ended their lengthy playoff drought a few seasons ago and are usually a threat to go deep in the playoffs once they get in. Carolina has a lot of talent up front highlighted by Sebastian Aho and Andrei Svechnikov. One thing that really impressed me about Svechnikov is that he successfully scored two lacrosse-style goals last season. The Canes' defense corps is one of the deepest in the NHL, highlighted by Dougie Hamilton and Jaccob Slavin. Lastly, the Hurricanes implemented the Storm Surge during the regular season, in which the entire team would engage the fans and participate in unique celebrations every time they would win at PNC Arena during the regular season. In addition, the Hurricanes have great-looking logos and alternate jerseys, including the ones featuring the defunct Hartford Whalers logo. However, Carolina doesn't have as proven of a track record as some of the teams ranked above them in this list, keeping them at number 16.

15) Nashville Predators

 Like many teams in the tier of teams I like, there are many things I like about the Nashville Predators. They have one of the best logos and coolest mascots in the NHL. Like the Sharks, the Predators have been a consistent playoff contender for many years. Bridgestone Arena in Nashville looks amazing and has one of the best in-arena atmospheres in the NHL based on what I've seen in pictures and on TV. The main drawback I have with the Predators is that their jerseys and other merchandise are primarily yellow, which I'm not too fond of. Still, they somehow managed to pull off that appearance even though I don't like it as much as other teams' jerseys and merchandise.

14) Minnesota Wild

 One of the biggest reasons why the Minnesota Wild are ranked this high on my list is their primary logo. It is extremely detailed and contains many aspects of the wilderness that are used as the depicted animal's body parts. Outside of the Sharks' primary logo, the Wild primary logo is the best logo in the NHL and one of the best logos in all of sports. In addition, Minnesota gave the Sharks Brent Burns, which the latter can be very thankful for. We'll have to find out this season how Ryan Donato and Devan Dubnyk turn out for the Sharks. Otherwise, the Minnesota Wild haven't lasted that long or been successful enough for me to hold any grudge against them. Hopefully the Wild can gain a better sense of what direction the franchise should head in and become more successful after this season has concluded.

13) New Jersey Devils

 The main reason why I like the Devils is because their franchise icon is one of the greatest goalies of all time, Martin Brodeur. I enjoyed the years when Taylor Hall was New Jersey's best player, and the season Hall had when he won the Hart Trophy was really impressive. PK Subban hasn't performed that well on the ice ever since he was traded to the Devils, but I admire his personality and generosity off the ice. I hope PK can gain at least some of his previous form when he was on the Canadiens and Predators back as soon as next season. Although the Devils haven't been all that competitive the past few seasons, they have two rising and promising young stars in Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes, who could break out at any point in the next few seasons. However, as you may notice, I have a greater appreciation for 12 other teams, including five teams in the Devils' Metropolitan Division and the Devils' two biggest rivals.

12) Philadelphia Flyers

 The Flyers have had many great players, coaches, and teams in their history thus far. They now have the pieces in place to become a perennial playoff contender for years to come, highlighted by Claude Giroux, Sean Couturier, and Travis Konecny up front. They have a solid defense corps, highlighted by Ivan Provorov and former San Jose Shark Justin Braun. My favorite player on the Flyers would have to be Carter Hart, their young, Vezina-caliber star goaltender. Hart has also become one of my favorite goalies in the NHL. In addition, the Flyers' mascot, Gritty, has taken the hockey world, sports world, and pop culture by storm ever since he became the NHL's newest mascot two seasons ago. However, some of the Flyers fanbase gets a bad rep, and there are 11 other teams ranked above the Flyers that I have a greater appreciation for.

11) St. Louis Blues

 The Sharks and Blues have sort of developed a rivalry in recent years with the Blues, and the two teams are now in the same division for this season only. However, I still happen to like the Blues to an extent. I think their logos and jerseys look great. I like some of their current players, such as Vladimir Tarasenko and Ryan O'Reilly. I also have a great appreciation for some hockey legends that have previously played for St. Louis, such as Wayne Gretzky and Brett Hull. In addition, although they eliminated my Sharks in the process, the Blues went from last place in the entire NHL in January 2019 to winning their first Stanley Cup in the 2018-19 season, ending a 52-year drought. That was a very impressive feat, and I give the Blues mad props for defying all odds and winning the Cup that season.

10) Florida Panthers

 I tend to view pro sports teams from South Florida more highly than in other geographical areas. A lot of this has to do with the fact that South Florida is one of my top bucket list destinations. This is mainly due to its amenities, beautiful scenery, and abundance of exotic cars. In regards to the Florida Panthers, they may not have had a ton of overall success, but they are an up and coming team with notable talent such as Aleksander Barkov and Jonathan Huberdeau. Some hockey legends to have played for the Panthers during their careers include Roberto Luongo and Jaromir Jagr. Florida's logos and jerseys look great, especially the retro ones with the leaping cat on them. During the Panthers' only Stanley Cup Final appearance in 1996, there was at least one instance where fans in the building threw plastic and stuffed rats onto the ice. Despite the Panthers having one of the lowest attendance numbers and smallest fanbases in the NHL, I hope they can become more successful in the future and ultimately remain in South Florida for the long haul.

9) Pittsburgh Penguins

 Although the Penguins beat my Sharks in the 2016 Stanley Cup Final, they are a storied franchise and I have a lot of respect for them. For me, a lot of this has to do with two of the best and most skilled players in the world, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Crosby makes all of his teammates on the ice better and has a higher hockey IQ than most players. Simply put, he's a generational talent that grew to fame when I was growing up and isn't slowing down anytime soon. As long as the Penguins have Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin on their roster, they will always be a threat to make the playoffs and go on a deep run every year. In addition, the Penguins had a significant competitive window back in the 90s, led by one of the greatest players of all time, Mario Lemieux. Lemieux holds some insane all-time records that are on the level of and only bested by the Great One, Wayne Gretzky. Despite the possibility that their current competitive window may be closing soon, I will always see the Pens in a positive light with their all-time great teams and multiple Stanley Cup victories.

8) Boston Bruins

 Although many NHL fans may dislike the Bruins, I happen to be in the minority who likes them to an extent and doesn't see himself as a Bruins fan. Like many teams I have ranked high on this list, the Bruins are an iconic and storied franchise in the NHL. Boston has had two of the greatest defensemen of all time play for them, specifically Bobby Orr and Ray Borque. Zdeno Chara played much of his career with the Bruins, and I have a lot of respect for him. Out of the current Bruins, their top line is one of the best in the NHL with Patrice Bergeron, David Pastrnak, and Brad Marchand. Bergeron is a great two-way forward and all-around player. Pastrnak is incredibly skilled and always a threat to score whenever he's on the ice. I don't like Brad Marchand's antics, but if he doesn't resort to playing dirty, he can be very talented. Overall, the Bruins are a well-managed team with great contracts based on performance value that is capable of winning on any given day or night.

7) New York Islanders

 I find the Islanders very appealing because they often fly under the radar considering their market and other teams in their division. What makes the current Islanders successful is Barry Trotz's coaching system. There's no denying that Barry Trotz is one of the best coaches in the NHL, and all the players on the Islanders have bought into his system. Under Trotz's system, the scoring tends to be spread out more evenly among most of the roster. What's pretty crazy about the Isles is that they became a better, more competitive team after John Tavares, their best player for much of the 2010s, left in free agency; the even crazier thing is that the Maple Leafs have yet to win a playoff series after signing John Tavares in free agency. This is no knock on Tavares as I like him as a player. Out of the current Islanders team, I like Mat Barzal the most because he is young, talented, and star-caliber. I also enjoyed when Robin Lehner revitalized his career during the one season he played for them. I shouldn't forget to mention that the Islanders had a dynasty during the 80s in which they won four straight Stanley Cups. Lastly, I like the Islanders' logos and colors. I'm glad to see the Islanders having success after years of mediocrity, and I hope they can stay competitive for as long as possible.

6) Chicago Blackhawks

 The Blackhawks are ranked pretty high on my favorite teams list considering who my number one team is, and it has nothing to do with having a good friend who is a Blackhawks fan. Their logos and jerseys are some of the best in the NHL. They have been a successful franchise overall and had a recent dynasty throughout most of the 2010s, in which they won three Stanley Cups in 2010, 2013, and 2015. Their top player during that recent dynasty was Patrick Kane, and he is still the centerpiece of the 'Hawks and showing no signs of slowing down. Once Patrick Kane retires, he will more than likely become the greatest American-born NHL player of all time. The Blackhawks' other centerpiece during that dynasty and currently is Jonathan Toews. Toews has been just as important to the Blackhawks as Patrick Kane has been during the 2010s and now. Captain Serious, as Jonathan Toews was known as, is a great leader on the ice and in the locker room and can come up clutch when necessary. 

The Blackhawks have had other legends with them much earlier than their previous dynasty, such as Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull, and Tony Esposito. Although the Blackhawks are currently in a rebuild, they have some rising stars in Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Strome, and Kirby Dach. Lastly, Chicago is an iconic sports city with an iconic, well-known, and valuable franchise in the Blackhawks.

5) Washington Capitals

 

Now entering my top five favorite teams. The picture above basically spoils who is ranked five through two. One of the biggest reasons why the Capitals made my top five is due to Alex Ovechkin. Ovi is quite possibly the greatest goal-scorer of all time and has a chance to top Wayne Gretzky's all-time goals record before he retires at the current rate he scores goals. His shot is absolutely lethal, and most goalies would have difficulty stopping it. In addition, Ovechkin has a great personality and celebrates every goal like it's his first. The Capitals have other great players such as TJ Oshie, Nicklas Backstrom, John Carlson, Evgeny Kuznetsov, and Jakub Vrana. Former Sharks defenseman Brenden Dillon is also a member of the Capitals. Washington's primary logo may not be the best, but their shoulder patch logo is one of the best and most creative in all of sports. I was so thrilled to see the Capitals win the Stanley Cup when they did three seasons ago because it solidified Alex Ovechkin as an all-time great by adding the Cup to his resume. This was especially after they struggled to advance past the second round before the 2017-18 season. The great news is that most of the Capitals' roster that won the Stanley Cup in 2018 still remains intact. The Capitals also have some of the best warm-up routines in the NHL, and their mascot, Slapshot, is one of the coolest mascots in the NHL. Overall, the Caps are a fun team to watch that consistently makes the playoffs.

4) Detroit Red Wings

 Although the Red Wings are currently in a complete rebuild, I have always had a lot of respect for this franchise. The Red Wings have the most Stanley Cups of any U.S.-based NHL team with 11 and had one of the greatest playoff streaks of any team in NHL history with 25 years from 1991 to 2016. There have been many hall-of-fame and future hall-of-fame players to come and go through the Red Wings, most notably Gordie Howe, Red Kelly, Ted Lindsay, Nicklas Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman, Henrik Zetterberg, and Niklas Kronwall, just to name a handful. I think the Red Wings' logo is amazing, especially since I'm a car enthusiast and the Red Wings' logo has an automotive element in it; hopefully it never changes. Despite said rebuild, the current Red Wings have a solid core foundation in Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha, and Tyler Bertuzzi. They have a great general manager in Steve Yzerman that will certainly lead the team in the right direction. Another result of the Red Wings' current rebuild is that they have a loaded prospect pool that will blossom in the near future. I hope the Red Wings can become more competitive sooner than later and upset some teams along the way.

3) New York Rangers

 The Rangers are in my top three because they are an iconic, storied, well-known, and valuable franchise in one of the coolest cities in the world. They currently have the foundation in place with Artemi Panarin, Mika Zibanejad, and Chris Kreider to name a few. They also have a few rising stars in Kaapo Kakko, Alexis Lafreniere, Adam Fox, Filip Chytil, K'Andre Miller, and Igor Shesterkin. The Rangers may not be the best team right now, but they have one of the brightest futures of any team in the NHL. The Rangers' jerseys look incredible, especially their home jerseys and reverse retros. Madison Square Garden is the world's most famous arena and is one of the top arenas I want to see a game at (more specifically the Rangers). Another significant reason I think of the Rangers so highly is Henrik Lundqvist, who was the Broadway Blueshirts' primary goalie from the early 2000s until this past season. King Hank is one of my favorite goalies ever and one of the best goalies to ever play in the NHL. He is also a major class act and has one of the best fashion senses in the NHL. However, it will suck to see him possibly retire without ever winning the Stanley Cup. Lastly, a few former New York Rangers I have mad respect for include Mark Messier and Brian Leetch. I hope the New York Rangers can live up to the hype surrounding them and go on deep playoff runs very soon. I will cheer on the superior New York NHL team unless they face the two teams ranked above them on this list. 

2) Tampa Bay Lightning

 The Tampa Bay Lightning are my favorite team in the Eastern Conference and a perfect example of a well-run, successful hockey team in a non-traditional hockey market. They are absolutely loaded with talent and skill, just came off of winning the Stanley Cup last year, and have a very good chance of defending their Stanley Cup title this year. The Bolts can roll four lines and three defense pairs and has strong goaltending. Their top players consist of Steven Stamkos, Nikita Kucherov, Brayden Point, Victor Hedman, Anthony Cirelli, and Andrei Vasilevskiy. Stamkos has been the Lightning's franchise leader and heartbeat, and if he stays healthy, he is generally one of the top scorers in the NHL. Nikita Kucherov is also one of the NHL's top scorers in a typical season with a lethal shot and and one of the filthiest signature breakaway/shootout/penalty shot moves. Brayden Point is underrated and offensively gifted, and has a ton of upside. Hedman is one of the best defensemen in the NHL with the puck and defending the puck. Vasilevskiy is one of the best goalies in the NHL and is my go-to goalie if a clutch save had to be made in the dying seconds of a game in order to hold on and win. In addition, Jon Cooper is one of the best coaches in the NHL, and Steve Yzerman was the main guy who assembled Tampa Bay's current Cup-contending team, not to discredit Julien Brisebois by any means. The Bolts had also won the Cup back in 2004 with legends such as Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier. Another significant reason why the Lightning are my second favorite team is that Florida is my favorite U.S. state outside of California. I don't enjoy when my number one team loses, but it is the least painful if and when my number one team loses to the Lightning.

1) San Jose Sharks 

 This should come as little to no surprise to anyone, especially if you know me or have seen much of the other content I've posted on CPF Hockey. I like basically everything about this team, plus I have a personal connection to the city of San Jose. This personal connection is the biggest reason why I am a Sharks fan and will continue to fuel my enthusiasm for Team Teal. In addition, the Sharks have been a consistent playoff team for many years and have amazing logos, jerseys, and colors. It should come as no surprise that my top sports wish is to see the Sharks win a Stanley Cup while I'm still alive, and I believe it can be accomplished sooner than most people realize. 

For the complete and detailed explanation on why the Sharks are my favorite team, click the link below:

 Why Did I Become a Sharks Fan?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Projecting the Sharks' 2024-25 Opening Night Roster

 The Sharks are halfway through their preseason slate of games, and further cuts are being made to their training camp roster. As I am earin...