Saturday, April 3, 2021

My Hockey Bucket List

 I was initially inspired to make this post from a YouTube video I saw back in December, where the guy listed and explained his hockey bucket list in the video. 

In this post, I will list some things I want to experience and see happen as a hockey fan over the course of my life. These will be listed in no particular order; most of these are just as important as the others in how much I want to achieve these things. Without further ado, let's get started:

Visit the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto 

 The Hockey Hall of Fame is one of the biggest reasons why Toronto is one of the top places I want to travel to the most. I've heard so many great things about the place, and from my knowledge it is a mecca of everything relating to hockey history. In addition, players and executives get their names enshrined there every year, and those individuals aren't just limited to the NHL. It is a must-see place for every hockey fan, and I can't wait to be able to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame one day. I know for sure that I will be like a kid in a candy shop once I step foot in there for the first time.

Witness the Sharks Win a Stanley Cup 

 One spectacle in sports that I want to see happen in my lifetime more than anything else is the Sharks winning their first Stanley Cup, whether it be on TV or in an arena at the Cup-clinching game. When this finally happens, I will feel like the happiest man on Earth, and I know it will absolutely be worth the wait. I have dreamed about this happening before, and I have pictured myself getting emotional at the thought of the Sharks as Stanley Cup Champions. In addition, if and when the Sharks win their first Stanley Cup, I really hope I can attend their Stanley Cup parade and public celebration in San Jose the day that these take place. 

The closest the Sharks have come to winning the Stanley Cup in their franchise history was in 2016 when they made the Cup Final for the first time ever. Unfortunately, San Jose was two wins away from the Cup before they lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins in six games that year. A handful of players from that team still remain with the Sharks, and it's very possible that the Sharks' Stanley Cup window may have already closed. This is due to the fact that they under-performed last season and are on track to miss the playoffs again this season. In addition, the Sharks have some veteran players on bad contracts and on the decline that may be very difficult or almost impossible to move. There have also been talks of a potential rebuild on the horizon for Team Teal, so it may be a while longer before they have another chance at competing for a Stanley Cup. As much as it pains me to say it, this is just the reality of the current state of the Sharks, which is in a transition phase at the moment. 

However, at the time this post is being published, the Sharks are on a tear and stand a few points out of a playoff spot in the West Division. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are becoming a real possibility for the Sharks this season, and I can't wait for what's in store over the next month.

With that being said, I have no idea what the Sharks will look like if and when they win Lord Stanley for the first time, but as long as it happens while I am alive, this item will be crossed off my hockey bucket list. Not only will I be overjoyed and emotional if and when the Sharks win the Stanley Cup, but they will gain a lot of new fans outside of Silicon Valley, and the rest of the hockey world will take them more seriously once a Stanley Cup is added to the Sharks' portfolio. 


Visit and Attend Games at Every NHL Arena 

 Another goal of mine as a hockey fan is to attend at least one game at every NHL arena. This does not have to occur all in one season or a few seasons; I want this to happen over the course of my life. 

What about taking tours of NHL arenas or seeing them up close? These are also worth accomplishing, but are only part of the equation. The other thing is that not all NHL arenas offer tours to the public. The best way to truly experience an NHL arena is to attend an NHL game there. 


So far, I have been to two NHL games: one at SAP Center in San Jose and the other at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The only other NHL arena I have seen in person is the Honda Center in Anaheim. I remember seeing the Honda Center from a distance once before, but I have never been inside that arena.

I understand that this is a daunting and expensive mission, but I believe it can be accomplished and I will do my best to make sure I can attend at least one game in as many NHL arenas as I possibly can. 


See Every NHL Team Play in Person 

 This one almost goes hand-in-hand with the previous goal. The main difference is that seeing every NHL team play in person accounts for visiting teams as well. For example, this goal can be accomplished if I only attended Sharks games at SAP Center or attended only the home games of the California-based teams. This certainly sounds easier to accomplish than attending a game at every NHL arena, but it still won't necessarily be easy. However, this mission is very possible to accomplish; the key is to not set too short of a time frame to accomplish it in. 


As of now, I have only seen the Sharks, Blackhawks, Kings, and Stars play in person in the two NHL games I have attended thus far. I am aiming to attend another NHL game as soon as next season when every team will hopefully allow fans to attend their games again without any COVID restrictions in place. Hopefully I can add at least one more team to my list of teams I've seen play in person. 


Visit the NHL Flagship Store in New York 

 The moment I first knew of the NHL Flagship Store, I instantly wanted to visit that store. I have been to New York before, but this was before I ever knew of the NHL Flagship Store. During my first and only visit to New York, I also wasn't able to fit seeing Madison Square Garden up close in the plans either. Anyway, from the pictures I've seen of the the NHL Flagship Store, it looks absolutely incredible. I could probably spend an entire day at that store, and I don't think I could leave without buying something from there.

Attend at Least One Stanley Cup Playoff Game 

 Like I've mentioned previously, I've been to two regular season NHL games. However, playoff games are on a completely different level with their atmosphere and what's at stake for both teams involved. A playoff game is absolutely worth attending in the future because of their intensity and greater importance than regular season games. The main obstacles in the way of this happening for me are that playoff tickets are quite expensive and scarce. In addition, playoff tickets usually almost always sell out pretty quickly. I find that it would be too difficult to set a specific time limit on attending a playoff game, but I want to make it happen at least once in my life. I am determined to make a rare opportunity like this happen for me in some way, shape, or form.

Become a Sharks Season Ticket Holder  

 Becoming a season ticket holder for the Sharks would be an absolute dream come true. Not only would I be able to attend as many Sharks games as possible, I would also receive plenty of other perks that the average fan is less likely to gain access to, such as meeting the players and coaching staff, exclusive team events, improved seating and viewing experiences, and other benefits and rewards. There may even be greater opportunities to travel to Sharks road games. Another benefit as a season ticket holder is that I would be able to provide other people such as my family and friends with tickets more easily than if I wasn't a season ticket holder. In other words, so many doors are opened to those who have the privilege of being a season ticket holder. 



Honorable Mentions 

  •  I would like to expand my hockey merchandise and memorabilia collection. For example, I have a few Sharks jerseys in my jersey collection, but the ones I want to add the most are the Sharks Heritage jersey from this year and the Sharks Stadium Series jersey from 2015. I also have a few pucks and autographed hockey memorabilia, and I would like to expand those collections as well, including game-used items. More hockey items in my collection would be great, but collecting more memorabilia has been placed under honorable mentions because experiences at games and when traveling are more fulfilling to me than materialistic things alone. 
  • This isn't a requirement, but it would be great if I could meet a current or former NHL player or coach at any point in my life. I understand that the likelihood of this happening is pretty small, but I would feel very lucky to have the chance to meet a current or former NHL player or coach if it was presented to me. I prefer that those players or coaches that I want to meet be current or former Sharks, but they don't have to be; I'd still be lucky regardless. The scenario of meeting them doesn't have to be specific; it can be at a meet-and-greet event or totally random and unexpected. 
  •  These go hand-in-hand, but it would be amazing to attend at least one NHL All-Star Game and its festivities and at least one NHL outdoor game, such as the Winter Classic or a Stadium Series game. The fan experience at these annual or bi-annual games are unlike anything else in the NHL. There is also a lot of hype surrounding these games as they get special TV coverage and unique jerseys that are usually only worn for those games. In addition, the special jerseys worn specifically for all-star and outdoor games tend to become collector's items and appreciate over time. Lastly, all-star and outdoor games are great opportunities to witness a significant event in NHL history take place, at it will be absolutely worth it.

This post basically sums up the goals and aspirations I want to achieve as a hockey fan. I understand that time is on my side (for the most part) when it comes to achieving the items listed on my hockey bucket list, but the sooner these things can be accomplished, the better. I plan to update this once items can be crossed off, so be sure to stick around for the journey. It will be a fun one for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Projecting the Sharks' 2024-25 Opening Night Roster

 The Sharks are halfway through their preseason slate of games, and further cuts are being made to their training camp roster. As I am earin...